Help & Hope for Kids with Digestive Disorders

Skip to Content

Sublevel Navigation

Connect with Facebook

Our Partners

  • NASPGHAN North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
  • NASPGHAN Foundation North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition Foundation
  • APGNN The Association of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition Nurses
  • Print

Information About Ingestion of Neomydium Magnets

Pediatric ingestion of high-powered, rare earth magnets (or neodymium magnets) is a serious health problem. Neodymium magnets are extremely powerful magnets that can attract each other from a significant distance. The culprit of a growing trend of magnet ingestions are small high-powered 5mm magnets sold in packages of 100 or more. These magnets sets and are commonly marketed as "adult desk toys."

GI Kids and NASPGHAN have called for a ban on the sale of high-powered magnet sets because there is compelling evidence that the use of warning labels in their marketing and packaging have not been effective in preventing the ingestion of these magnets by infants, children and teenagers.

BuckyBall Magnet's Have Been Recalled: What You Need to Know

If swallowed, the high-powered BuckyBall and BuckyCubes magnets can attract each other while in the digestive tract, which can lead to perforated internal organs and may require surgery to remove them. Consumers who have bought either product can go to their website and request a refund in exchange for the return of the product. For more information read the flyers below:

Buckyballs Flyer - English

Buckyballs Flyer - Spanish

Learn More about the Dangers of Magnet Ingestion

NASPGHAN patient advocacy efforts

Handout for patients and parents: "Warning! Swallowed Magnets are Dangerous"

Management of ingested magnets in children